How to Get a Forklift Licence in Australia

forklift licence melbourne

Snatching up a licence in Australia means you’re required to undertake formal forklift operation and safety training at a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). Under Australian law, when applying for an LO and LF licence, you must meet all the relevant requirements first.

Due to the nature of the high-risk operations involved, only licensed and qualified operators are legally allowed to operate a forklift in Australia. So how do you get started?

The different types of forklift classes

In Australia, there are two different kinds of classes for these vehicles, each of which come with different requirements. They are:

  • Order-Picking Machine (TLILIC2002A LO Licence); and
  • Forklift Truck (TLILIC2001A LF Licence).

RTOs offer training for both LF and LO forklift licences, but if you’re unsure which one is best for you, these providers will also guide you toward understanding your best plan of action.

The requirements

To be eligible for a forklift licence in Australia, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be of at least 18 years of age;
  • Have basic knowledge of English for both written and verbal skills;

This is critical, as you must be able to understand English to undertake the training course.

  • You must be a resident of Australia

Alternatively, you must provide a letter of contract from your employer if you are a non-resident.

  • Have a Unique Student Identifier (USI)

A USI is a unique reference number for all trainees in Australia, who are undertaking vocational education training, such as a forklift driving course. To apply for a USI, or to find additional information, visit this link.

  • Proof of identity

Before being accepted into an RTO course and applying for a forklift licence, you must be able to present 100 points of evidence towards your identity.

Applying for a course

After meeting all the requirements, you’ll next need to enrol in certified training at a provider that suits you best.

To find an RTO closest to you the MySkills website offers a handy tool to locate an appropriate option, as well as advise you on the average duration and course fee.

After you’ve completed your training and the theory component is done and dusted, you will need to undertake a written and practical examination. Both exams must be witnessed by your trainer, as well as an assessor/representative.

What happens after you complete the training?

If you successfully pass all required training, the RTO will provide you with a:

  • Statement of Attainment;
  • Notice of Assessment;
  • AS1 Application Form.

In order to successfully lodge an application to WorkSafe, you’ll need all of these in your arsenal. Once you’ve filled these out and gathered all of your documentation, head to your local Australia Post to lodge them.

Note:  Be sure to bring these three documents with you, as well as 100 points of evidence towards your identity. You will also need to pay the application fee and have your photo taken for the licence, on the spot. Australia Post will then send your application to WorkCover, where it will take around three weeks to complete the process.

While you’re waiting, you can use your Notice of Assessment as an interim licence while doing any forklift work, or for applying for jobs. Once you’re ready to go, make sure you understand all of the safety guidelines and rules around operation the vehicle.


Damoli Forklift Services offer one-stop shop for forklift hire, sales and servicing. We have a wide range of gas, diesel and electric forklifts ranging from 1 tonne right through to 45 tonne container handlers. We also have high reach forklifts and specialised scissor lifts available.